In the first half of 18th century on the island, surrounded by 3 rivers: Neva, Moyka and Priazhka, the small village was appeared. Retired soldiers lived there. Both village and island called Matisov’s. This name is keeping the memories about the small village of miller Matis. It was reward from Peter the Great to Matis for reconnaissance and denunciation of Sweden army operations during the Northern war. So the island, bridge across the Priazhka river and the hotel was named Matisov.
A small Bannyi Bridge connects Matisov Island to the continent. A wooden beam bridge has been built here in 1821. It has got its name for a big banya building on Matisov Island.
Alexander Blok, a renowned Russian poet whose museum-appartment is situated in a 5 minutes walk from our hotel, has jokingly called it “Bridge of Sighs” in remembrance of the famous bridge in Venice. Indeed, while glancing out of his window, Blok used to see young ladies on the bridge sighing and longing for the poet’s silhouette in the windows of the fourth floor.
Hotel «Matisov Domik» (domik means the small house) was founded in 1993. At first there were only 7 rooms. During the next 19 years we opened 55 rooms more of such various categories: apartments, delux, studio, double and single rooms.
Our star guests Michael Shemjakin, Inna Churikova, Valentine Gaft, Lyudmila Gurchenko, Lija Ahedzhakova, Sergey Mihalkov, Sergey Zverev, Alena Sviridova and many others have left their autographs and warm words about time, they spent in our hotel.